View Single Post
Old 08.12.2019, 18:31
doropfiz doropfiz is offline
Forum Legend
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 8,058
Groaned at 95 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 12,442 Times in 5,051 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Divorce lawyer and advice

View Post
I didn’t want to file for divorce in Switzerland and he is requesting this with the court and he is trying to delay the hearing for a few months. I prefer the USA law as we own our property, savings, etc.. in the USA and we only rent and have a B permit here. I have one child. I filed in the USA and he is challenging the jurisdiction

For Switzerland to be the place of divorce you have to be here more than 12 months. If of the 14 months we are here, he took 3 months of vacation outside of the country, is this still aplicable? I know is rather specific question but my Swiss lawyer can’t answer so I al looking for a better lawyer and some advice

Any advice is welcome. Thank you!

Here is a site offering online divorces (but I don't know anything about this company, so I'm not endorsing it) which sets out very clearly that the jurisdiction is at the place of residence.
In your case, all three of you live in Switzerland so that, according to this link, settles the jurisdiction as Switzerland.

Das Zivilgericht am Wohnsitz des einen oder anderen Ehegatten ist zuständig, um über eine Scheidung oder Trennung zu entscheiden.

Die Staatsangehörigkeit der Ehegatten ist ohne Belang. Auch der Ort, wo die Hochzeit gefeiert wurde, ist nicht relevant.

Vielmehr entscheidet der Wohnsitz über die Zuständigkeit der Gerichte. Folglich kann ein Ausländer mit Wohnsitz in der Schweiz ein Scheidungsurteil vom Schweizer Gericht erhalten (oder ein Trennungsurteil oder ein Urteil über die ehelichen Schutzmassnahmen).

The Civil Court at the place of residence of one or the other spouse has jurisdiction to decide about a divorce or separation.

The citizenship of the spouses is of no significance. This is also true for the place where the marriage ceremony took place: it is not relevant.

It is the place of residence which determines the jurisdiction of the Courts.
Therefore, a foreign citizen with residence in Switzerland can obtain a divorce from the Swiss Courts (or a Decree of Separation or a Decree about Protection of the marriage).
Reply With Quote