View Single Post
Old 17.12.2019, 19:50
Forum Legend

Groaned at 336 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 14,515 Times in 7,462 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
A lot of the delays and shenanigans were down to the impact of the Ref result on UK constitutional law. I've conversed with at least one constitutional law expert (mainly the Brummie one who claims to bear a passing resemblance to Wednesday Addams ) and he can't wait for the day when he can go back to being a boring fart of a geek. None of them expected to be catapulted into the spotlight, or to take the immense amount of abuse that they've endured over the last few years, simply for doing the job that nobody paid a blind bit of notice to pre-2016.

Personally, when it comes to the pros and cons of leaving the EU, I knew much of that stuff beforehand through work, etc, particularly regarding employment legislation and supply chains. The real learning curve for me has been the impact in law. I never expected to be gripped by day after day of High Court and Supreme Court proceedings with my brother on speed dial to explain the bits that I didn't understand. UK law is where the earthquake has happened. Parliament is just the aftershock. UK law is where the battleground will continue to be for now, because we have a PM with a degree in Classics intent on riding roughshod over UK law and the constitution.
Very interesting post. It's incredible they didn't think of all of these earlier, even before the referendum.