View Single Post
Old 23.12.2019, 13:13

Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
summergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pet friendly airline

I've flown with my dogs long-haul several times in both business and economy class. (and also in the cargo-hold for animals) Done it all.

And all of the times, zero problems. Made sure to train our dog to be happy in the airline carrier months before the trip. During the flight, you are not allowed to take your dog/cat out of the carrier - ours just stuck his head out when giving water - but aside of that, was happily chewing on a bone or quietly sleeping. You are not allowed to feed your dog on the day of travel - just water. (I guess this won't apply if your flight is late at night though....then you can feed breakfast but not dinner)

Our dogs haven't made a peep so as long as you train them to be happy and feeling safe in a carrier, I don't see why it will be such a hassle traveling with kids. And since you've mentioned your kids have already flown this route and are pretty chill, I believe you can do without a pet relocation company. Unless your husband's company agrees to pay for it (which I doubt in today's environment), it gets very expensive.

Have a look at the below link for rules & regulations on bringing dogs & cats into Switzerland. It really is pretty straight forward.

https://www.blv.admin.ch/blv/en/home...frettchen.html

I have never owned a cat, so that part I don't know, but for dogs, as long as you have all the vaccinations incl rabies done, de-worming, health certificate, import docs in place, it really is not that difficult. You're lucky that Switzerland doesn't have quarantine from the US, so that makes it already easy.

Re flying in business class, you will most likely be asked to put your pet up in the overhead for take-off & landing. My boyfriend flew with 2 small dogs with SWISS in biz class from LAX to ZRH many years ago, and he said while in his seat, he kept the overhead a bit open with his hands during these times (ah - the things that tall people can do)

Good luck - Switzerland (and overall Europe) is a wonderful place to live with dogs as you can take them almost everywhere
This user would like to thank summergirl for this useful post: