View Single Post
Old 10.01.2020, 15:06

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
mosafoud has no particular reputation at present
Re: Damage in the wooden floor

Quote:
View Post
I can maybe answer a part of this. We had a tenant who ruined a perfectly good, 12 year old floor. Indentations caused by high heels, cigarette burns, scratches made by a dog and so on.

Cost to replace was CHF22,000 including labour.
We insist our tenants have insurance to cover damage and we received CHF 16,000 from his insurer plus his deposit of CHF 3,000 which was used to paint walls due to smoke and a few other things.

His insurer insisted he pay a part as he was negligent and our apartments all come with a no smoking rule, with any damage down to them. The insurer then made him pay CHF 4,000 plus his own risk.

It was all settled amicably and speedily with the help of our insurers. So my advice is give it to your insurers to work with the landlord's insurers (as you've done) and they will sort it out, but you will be liable yourself for a part of it.
Thanks a lot for your reply,
I really don`t have a problem paying for any damage caused by me, but to be honest with you, i assume that the floor was too old, as per my last comment here on this post, the floor might be more than 30 years old. The company that i had recently to check the floor confirmed that this floor is at least 15-20 years old. Now, my insurance company tries to get any confirmation from the owner regarding the date when this floor was installed, but he insists on saying that he does not have any documents for this, which is something that me and the insurance find very strange. Anyways, an adviser told me that as long as he can not confirm the date when the floor was installed, then it means it goes back to the time when the house was built, and accordingly the floor will be 40 years+, so i need your opinion as an owner, am i supposed to pay for the repair of such a very old floor? this simply means me and my insurance will renovate his apartment on our expenses, for somethings that i assume it is 100% his responsibility.