View Single Post
Old 17.01.2020, 13:37
ormesome ormesome is offline
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 223
Groaned at 17 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 84 Times in 63 Posts
ormesome has earned some respectormesome has earned some respect
Re: Driving EU car outside of CH with CH licence

View Post
Both? You mean you cars policy? Your car's policy are your car's policy. Specially your cars liability policy applies to your license plate and your car only. They can be used on another car (some special exceptions in case of a replacement apply).

Once again. There is a guest driver (looks like that is you), and a car to be used (your friends french car).

So the question you have to ask and details to be checked are:

Is any driver covered by the cars third party liability insurance?
Has the car casco insurance? (It is not mandatory so assume the answer is no)
Is any driver covered by the cars casco insurance? (Read fine print or ask insurance as it can be excluded)?
Has the guest driver other insurance which might pay instead of the casco insurance?
Has the guest driver other insurance which might pay for a non-damage bonus loss?
If the guest driver has such insurance coverage, check what are the details, coverage, and what is excluded.
If the guest driver has no such coverage, and the car has no casco coverage, can the guest driver bear the cost of a total loss?

The only real hurdle in all this is if the cars liability insurance does not cover the guest driver. Might be difficult to impossible for the guest driver to get the appropriate, mandatory liability coverage. The rest, once the mandatory liability insurance part is sorted out, is just a bit of money and mutual trust.
Car insurance contains liability cover but there is also a personal liability insurance package that is separate that is for everyday life that also includes a part related to motoring.