View Single Post
Old 24.01.2020, 11:37
Enohzee Enohzee is offline
Forum Veteran
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 775
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 353 Times in 217 Posts
Enohzee has an excellent reputationEnohzee has an excellent reputationEnohzee has an excellent reputationEnohzee has an excellent reputation
Income Tax - Moved Cantons - Marriage - !

Hi all,

A bit of a complicated story here. I've been looking at threads to see how to fill a tax return when you have moved cantons during the year. It seems that the authorities can take ages to complete your tax return between them which is a pain in the $$$. I'm used to my taxes being sorted before end-of-year here in Neuch

Last year, I got married abroad. The tax authorities just informed me that it's now all confirmed here and we will be taxed for the full year 2019 as married. I have a C permit.

Before it was fully confirmed, we informed our employer. They then stopped taking tax-at-source for my wife (who has a B-permit). However, since it took a while before Switzerland recognized the marriage, the tax office did not send us additional tax invoices for my wife (or for us). Meaning she may have underpaid on tax.

We then informed our employer about this and they said they can pay the tax-at-source for the months where she did not pay. They took this out of her January salary.

During 2019, however, we paid a lot into our pensions (anticipating a much higher tax rate due to marriage). This means that the additional tax-at-source paid in January means we probably overpaid our tax by quite a bit. I'm already doing our tax return to calculate roughly where we stand.

My wife moved from Canton Vaud to Canton Neuchatel in July.

I'm now wondering if I should check with my employer if we can reverse this, and not pay that additional tax-at-source payment (have it refunded back). The reason is that I've read it can take 5 years for a tax refund when moving cantons...

I appreciate any help if anybody has experience similar

Reply With Quote