View Single Post
Old 16.09.2008, 10:47

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
PeterDB is considered knowledgeablePeterDB is considered knowledgeablePeterDB is considered knowledgeable
Re: Swisscom Port Blocking?

Quote:
View Post
Good to know about the latency thing. It wouldn't surprise me if further down the line cablecom is just connecting to swisscom's infrastructure anyway.

One thing is still bothering me though. I can't get any incomming connections to work. For example, if I host an FTP server, I can't log in from a remote computer. It seems to be that way on any port (tried 21, 23, 59, 81, 1025, 4001, 52333). Can anyone else get an FTP server or another service to be seen from the outside world? Go to canyouseeme.org for an easy way to test.

If you don't have any sort of a server program, try the TFTP program from Solarwinds, or an open source FTP Server called "Filezilla". If anyone wants, I can email them a copy to spare them the download time. Just PM me with your email address and which program you want. Both are Free to use (not shareware or trialware).

I'll be getting a new apartment soon and it'll be good to know if I should make sure that Cablecom is available due to avoid incomming ports being blocked.

I think my next step is to buy a better DSL modem though... Any suggestions on what modems are better than the rest?
Sure, I can get an FTP server to work, even SSH, remote access, video streaming for security cameras also. But you need to setup the NAT in the SwissCom modem/router, since the UPnP function does not work that well. Then you also need to take into account, that your IP changes ever so often, which means you need to have a system of tracking this change and reporting it to you, or use DynDNS to get it working.

/Peter