View Single Post
Old 26.01.2020, 22:35
Adirondacker Adirondacker is offline
Newbie 1st class
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 17
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Adirondacker has no particular reputation at present
Advice needed: US citizen changing name following divorce

Hello EF,

This is call for advice, as I can't seem to determine the best course of action to reclaim my maiden name following my recent divorce here in Zurich (I was married in the US; I'm a US citizen and will continue living in Zurich for the foreseeable future). Despite my research, I can't seem to figure out what the process should be.

Should I, for example, begin the process in Zurich and:
1. Bring my divorce papers to the Zivilstand in Zurich and ask to change my name
2. Get a new Ausweis
2. Bring these papers back to a NY court (where these papers and cards will make no sense) to get my name changed there, so that I can then get a new Social Security card, etc., and then get a new passport

should I go the other route and begin the process in the US:
1. Petition for a name change in NY
2. Following the issuance of a name change, apply for a new Social Security card, followed by a passport
3. Meanwhile, go to the Zivilstand and begin the process to change my name here in Züri (Zivilstand, Ausweiss, etc.)

Any advice will be most appreciated! I'm hoping to get this done as cheaply as possible—I need a hiatus from lawyers following my divorce :-)

Thank you!
Reply With Quote