View Single Post
Old 28.01.2020, 00:00
Forum Legend

Groaned at 446 Times in 384 Posts
Thanked 18,660 Times in 9,873 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
You appear to show a severe misunderstanding between "value" and "number"! I could own 10 Opel Corsas, and they wouldn't have the same value as a Lamborghini! The GDP of all the countries with which Japan has free trade agreements with is larger than that of the EU, same goes for South Korea, same goes for Australia, same goes for Canada, same for goes for Switzerland! And soon to be the case for the UK!

It's similar logic to the people who think that the UK leaving the EU is just 1 of 28 member states leaving. Guess what, it isn't! The UK has the same GDP as the smallest 18 countries COMBINED!

The bottom line is the EU has been really poor at making trade deals with countries worth making trade deals with, like the US, China, India, Australia etc. basically because the EU is anti free trading capitalism and ultra protectionist.
Moving the goalposts again!
So now the EU is not poor at making free trade deals as you claimed, you are now claiming it is making these trade deals with the wrong countries.

How about turning this coin around and saying the US, China, India, Australia are really poor at making trade deals because they have failed to make a trade deal with the EU (the second largest world economy).
You know it takes two to tango

Of course, the GDP of all the countries with which Japan has free trade agreements (FTAs) is larger than that of the EU because one of those FTAs is with the EU (the second largest world economy). Same goes for South Korea, same goes for Canada, same goes for Switzerland