View Single Post
Old 29.01.2020, 15:31
A modal singularity

Groaned at 368 Times in 239 Posts
Thanked 15,497 Times in 6,694 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Nope. Ace was right, it goes into general taxation.

There is a link between NIC and the state pension entitlement (and 1 or 2 other benefits) but only to the extent that paying NIC gives you that entitlement. There is no funding link.
Quite so. And all the more major benefits, Healthcare, Income Support (or whatever it's called these days), disability benefits, etc. are independent, i.e. you're equally entitled to them whether you've been paying National Insurance contributions or not.

I think there's a separate Unemployment Benefit which is only payable for a given period after becoming unemployed, so there's a link of sorts, but it's not directly related to contributions paid in.

Some background reading here for anyone interested. (Claims to be independent, but I don't vouch for its accuracy).
This user would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post: