View Single Post
Old 29.01.2020, 18:02

Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Nope. Ace was right, it goes into general taxation.

There is a link between NIC and the state pension entitlement (and 1 or 2 other benefits) but only to the extent that paying NIC gives you that entitlement. There is no funding link.
Quote:
View Post
Quite so. And all the more major benefits, Healthcare, Income Support (or whatever it's called these days), disability benefits, etc. are independent, i.e. you're equally entitled to them whether you've been paying National Insurance contributions or not.

I think there's a separate Unemployment Benefit which is only payable for a given period after becoming unemployed, so there's a link of sorts, but it's not directly related to contributions paid in.

Some background reading here for anyone interested. (Claims to be independent, but I don't vouch for its accuracy).
Yep, I'd found the same link and there is still the National Insurance Fund which may or may not have a surplus in any given year and may or may not be topped up in any year. It still is used to cover benefits and pensions, it just isn't ring fenced. Any surplus goes against the National Debt.

So, unhelpfully, it's not a yes/no situation.