View Single Post
Old 01.02.2020, 18:57
Forum Legend

Groaned at 193 Times in 160 Posts
Thanked 13,306 Times in 6,938 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
We are all British my dear fellow, not English. England is an entirely different set of made up lines that partakes in sport.

I do not hold loyalty to a set of line because I am told to do so, nor to a Monarch just because I've been told to do so.

What society is this you talk of? There certainly isn't just the one in Britain, is there?

What's the nonsense about expecting "an other society" [sic] to shoulder my burden? One has to qualify and this other country (not society) has deemed me a valid applicant, that's the end of any commitment. I am sure it is expedient to us both.

The last line is the most interesting though, isn't it? You assume that because I hold little value in a set of lines, I value my family the same? I would point out my loyalties are very easy to judge and unambiguous - family before everything else.

Can you honestly say the same without making yourself a hypocrite? Or does "country" just nestle somewhere halfway down your list of loyalties, yet you feel able to lecture others on its importance?
<<I do not hold loyalty to a set of line because I am told to do so, nor to a Monarch just because I've been told to do so.>> Didn't bother you as long as they did as you liked.
<< this other country (not society) has deemed me a valid applicant>>
Of course they did, you fulfilled the necessary requirements. They're not fooled though, they know you only flew by to pick up the papers.
And the society IS the country. An understanding that seems to be completely alien to Brits.
<<Can you honestly say the same without making yourself a hypocrite?>> Say what? If I had changed nationality every time I disliked the result of a voting here I would be very international by now.

And there is no point in arguing this, really. Because unlike in the English language - and therefore I guess in the societies using it - one can not win a discussion. One can only have a discussion.
And the only reason I really enjoy discussions is because it confronts me with different opinions and view points. Just to hear people constantly agree with me would not really be worth my time.
That might be the reason I don't shout "ban, BAN!" when ever someone peculiar shows up on EF.