View Single Post
Old 04.02.2020, 21:52
Moderately Amused

Groaned at 89 Times in 85 Posts
Thanked 19,496 Times in 8,622 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice needed: US citizen changing name following divorce

Quote:
View Post
Thanks, everyone. I spoke with someone at the Zivilstandsamt and at the Migration Office, and it seems they are unable to change my name here because I was married in the US and do not have a Familienausweis. So, it appears I need to go back to the US to change my name. I am also going to attempt going to the Passport Office in New York with my Swiss divorce decree to see if they will accept that (my maiden name is listed on the divorce decree, although the decree says nothing about changing my name). If they require a court order in addition, I'll have to petition the court in NY for a name change, although I would like to avoid that extra cost following what I paid to get divorced here!

And for others in a similar situation who are here with a different permit and are allowed to change their name, indeed, it is only after the divorce proceedings that you can change it by bringing the decree to the Zivilstandsamt.

Fingers crossed that I return from the US with my "real" name. I'll update here so that anyone else searching for this info has an easier time of figuring out the process than I did!
Why would you need to physically go to the U.S.? I realize it was a few years ago, but I changed my name the other way (upon getting married) and I handled all of it from here in Switzerland with the help of the Embassy.