View Single Post
Old 05.02.2020, 00:20
Adirondacker Adirondacker is offline
Newbie 1st class
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 17
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Adirondacker has no particular reputation at present
Re: Advice needed: US citizen changing name following divorce

View Post
Why would you need to physically go to the U.S.? I realize it was a few years ago, but I changed my name the other way (upon getting married) and I handled all of it from here in Switzerland with the help of the Embassy.
Because I need a US court order or a divorce decree that states that my name has changed (which my divorce decree does not—this needs to be done at the Zivilstadtamt). But the Zurich Zivilstadtamt told me that because I do not have a Familenausweiss that I need to get my name changed in my home country. I have emailed and called the US Embassy in Bern, but so far they have only been able to tell me the same thing—that I need a court order stating my new/old name (which I don't have and can't get here in CH) or a divorce decree that states my name change (which my Swiss divorce decrees doesn't state—only my maiden name is listed parenthetically). I've been through hell the last couple of years and am desperate to shed my last name (first-world problems, I know), so it's a priority that I just do that paperwork when I am back in the US to make sure it's done and I can move on with my life. If there were a clear and straightforward path via the Embassy to legally change my name, I would gladly take it! If you have any additional info, please share . . .
Reply With Quote