View Single Post
Old 05.02.2020, 09:15
Forum Legend

Groaned at 444 Times in 382 Posts
Thanked 18,499 Times in 9,804 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Boris Johnson laid out his objectives for trade on Monday and I must say I was very impressed. Parallel trade talks are going to be held with a number of other nations is a very positive step. Mr Johnson's willingness to accept trade friction at the border is also a sign that he is not desperate and won't be put off by threats.

Michel Barnier also set out the EU's objectives which included the UK continuing with EU Competition and Subsidies policy, ECJ contuing to have a role, fishing access to UK waters and that the UK can never sign a better trade deal elsewhere. Sounds a lot like EU membership to me!

I expect we're heading for quite a crash between the two sides, sooner rather than later.
Parallel trade talks are a good idea in principle but Britain simply does not have enough people to do this, simply trying to handle two negotiations with the EU and US will be a big strain. Britain has not handled any trade negotiations for the past 40 years while the EU did this so Britain has no experienced people.