View Single Post
Old 05.02.2020, 11:30
Forum Legend

Groaned at 240 Times in 203 Posts
Thanked 23,248 Times in 9,883 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Oh common, you can't blame them. Irish is cool.

I didn't want to focus on a particular nationality, I mentioned Irish because some people here seem obsessed with the Irish. They might be "Irish" at the end of the day, but that doesn't mean they do understand what's happening in Europe.
The thing is, depending how you define Irishness, there are a lot more Irish people than you maybe assume. I think in the UK something like 60% have some Irish ancestry, however remote. I guess in ther USA the figure could well be similar. The figure could be even higher for Australia, Canada etc. With people having been emmigrating out of Ireland since time immemorial, this is only logical.

I guess most people don't make much out of their Irishness, other than in jest maybe. But when you meet somebody and get into the smalltalk its natural that you start off by discusisng what you have in comon, however meaningless or irrelevant. That's not the same as having an obsession.