View Single Post
Old 10.02.2020, 15:26
Forum Legend

Groaned at 400 Times in 265 Posts
Thanked 17,254 Times in 5,301 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dairy quality higher in CH than EU/US?

Quote:
View Post
Bio milk from the supermarkets comes in HDPE bottles which out of all the plastics, is the most efficient, and most effective to be recycled.

That's one advantage.

As for taste, I've always thought it tasted better but I really ought to do a double-blind tasting to confirm.

As for animal welfare - that depends on the morals of the farmer as much as anything else.

My sister has a dairy herd on the Welsh borders and they went from non-organic, to organic and back to non-organic. In the end it's a business and the numbers matter.

Apart from the lengthy transition times from non-organic to organic certification, the cows still ate the same grass and ran around in the same fields, and came from the same herd, either way.
Dairy farm conditions are tightly regulated and monitored. The quality of milk is checked daily and farmers suffer financially if they're milk doesn't meet standards. The farms here are smaller here so cows get more individual attention.

I have no qualms with artificial insemination. The advantages outweigh the disadvantages.