View Single Post
Old 12.02.2020, 18:11
Forum Legend

Groaned at 43 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 7,410 Times in 2,314 Posts
Captain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Electronics from USA

Quote:
View Post
Due to their mobile nature, the power supplies of objects like laptops, phone chargers, hairdryers etc will usually accept both US and European voltages, and you will only need a mechanical converter for the plug.
It would be great if things were that simple.

Most low-power electronic gadgets like phone chargers, lap top power supplies etc. sold in Europe in the last, say, 10 or 15 years, can cope with anything between 110 and 240V AC. More power-hungry devices such as hair dryers or slow-cookers usually don't, because their wattage would require a pretty lumpy and heavy transformer.

An the other hand, most low-power chargers etc. sold in the USA even these days cover only US voltage. I dunno, maybe they think that's a patriotic thing to do. I have about 15 such devices bought in the USA in the last 5 years, of which only one (bought a month ago) can "go Europe." Among my more than two dozen up to 15 year-old low-power devices I brought over from Europe, only three cannot get along with the US voltage. Looks like the US is way behind in this respect.

"This is AMAZING! I have the exact amount of money Joe Biden has cost us playing golf in my sweatpants pocket!" Kona Lowell

The following 4 users would like to thank Captain Greybeard for this useful post: