View Single Post
Old 13.02.2020, 08:06

Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
elihaf is considered a nuisanceelihaf is considered a nuisanceelihaf is considered a nuisance
Re: Electrical wiring - routing in a concrete house built in the 70s

As I Swiss qualified Electrician I just read through this thread.

My suggestion is to follow the good advice of the people here!

Here are my comments.

The boxes on the ceilings have one feed back to the board and then distributes plugs and switches locally to the rooms nearby.

The reason why the wiring is different colouring to what we know nowadays is that over the years the Swiss changed the laws numerous times until eventually setting on the European norm around 15 years ago. In your case red black and white are live and yellow is Neutral, other colours are lamps, Earth is standard yellow green.

Your board doesnít appear to contain asbestos which is consistent with the colours of your cabling, its probably around 40 years old.

The FI does indeed stand for fault current with I corresponding to current.
Fehlerstromschutzschalter.

The regulations state that the installation needs to conform to the regulations at the time of installation, therefore as long as it is all functioning there is no duty to upgrade, therefore cotton insulation is still fairly common together with screw in fuses.

The FI does indeed save lives, i suggest you fit them for safety. This should be relatively easy as the wiring is 1.5mil already, you may need to pull through an earth wire to various lights where it is missing.

Donít run cat 6/7 with the electricity, run it separately in trunking. Alternatively check if your house has numerous telephone sockets, if yes you can attempt to run the data through those conduit.

Good luck and let me know if you need any help.

Eli
The following 6 users would like to thank elihaf for this useful post: