View Single Post
Old 13.02.2020, 23:03
FlyingSunny FlyingSunny is offline
Newbie 1st class
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Crissier
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
FlyingSunny has no particular reputation at present
Re: Withhold tax (B permit) and abroad property

View Post
I moved to Zurich in May 2019 with a B permit.
Since my income is under 120k I'm paying my taxes at source.
It happens that I also own a house abroad (Italy, value should be around 100k and imputed rent ~ 6k/y). The house is not rented.
By quicky googling around I found that I'm supposed to declare it in my tax declaration so I've been asking some tax advisor agencies for a quote for my situation.

Here comes the complex part:

a) I've been aked ~ 1200 CHF for the tax declaration
b) 150-650 CHF for my tax declaration depending on how good and precise I am in providing the required documents.
c) They told me that because I have a B permit, a net worth under 200k CHF and because I pay taxes at source I don't need to declare the house in my tax declaration.

Does anyone have experience with this situation? Is agency c) correct in this case? ( honestly I think that agency a) asked way more than the fair market price for my situation).

I've been thinking of writing directly to the cantonal tax office? Is it a good thing? Can they provide me the answers I'm looking for? (I don't really speak german and I'm afraid they will just point me to some techinal german document I will not be able to understand.)

Thanks to anyone that will help me figure this out.
I am in a somewhat similar situation with yours. We are US citizens on a B permit, came to Vaud in mid-Nov 2019. I have managed our US tax return myself while working abroad in Asia for the last four years. I tried to lodge our first Swiss tax return with the Vaud tax software, but figured it would be quite time-consuming primarily due to the language issue for me.

I checked with a local tax accountant expecting tax refund and hoping the Vaud tax office might work like the IRS in terms of tax refund (the withheld tax was around CHF 6K just for about 1 month when the annual salary is around CHF 200K + some relocation compensation). He quoted me around CHF 600-700 (we are married and have a small property in the US) and said there is likely to be no tax refund from the canton. Still researching on how the system works here from the tax perspectives on my end as so far I have noticed that most government workers - commune and municipality - in my area do not speak English
Reply With Quote