View Single Post
Old 14.02.2020, 14:09
Forum Legend

Groaned at 133 Times in 116 Posts
Thanked 5,817 Times in 2,701 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fachhochschüle health and safety gone mad

Quote:
View Post
From my experience with large organisations over the last thirty years (obviously I'm not communicating the full details in all their nuances - I'm no DB), this smacks of someone senior who's FUBAR'd, and is trying desperately to cover their bottoms, thereby making a mountain out of a molehill.
That may very well be, but joking etc aside, it is very important for you kid to learn that this is a very serious subject if you work in a lab...

Although I work in IT and know very little about the scientific stuff, by office has been in the labs on the few occasions and have experienced two training session where serious errors were found and one live release...

- In one test the rescue team (employee volunteers) lost the body! They had the guy on the stretcher, but him down and somehow lost track of where they left him. A second team found the him again but decapitated him on the way out!!!

- In another exercise at another company, the fire brigade turned up with the wrong equipment - apparently they were given the correct information about the supposed release, but the forgot to check the equipment. At the lab it was discovered that the technicians did not take the sign-in/out rules very seriously and so they were not able to say how many people were on site nor how many where in the lab...

Of course that was nearly 30 years ago, so I'm sure they are much more careful now