View Single Post
Old 15.02.2020, 18:31

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
BruFaustini has no particular reputation at present
Chicken and egg Work Permit problem

I have a cousin who is an Italian citizen and has just arrived to live with me and my family so she can give me some help with my kids while also working part time so she can afford to study German and eventually do a technical course. She has started her job search, but the process so far seems quite complicated even to get a job such as a simple coffee shop job: all places so far claim they don’t give a work contract to anybody that doesn’t already have a work permit, but to get a permit she needs a work contract! It’s a crazy “chicken and egg problem” that we can’t figure out because everybody we consult say that, with her being a EU citizen, it is a very easy procedure to get the permit, all she needs is to have a simple Swiss contract. But if that is the case, why these coffee shops/bars that gave her a positive feedback and said they want to hire her won’t just give her the contract? What is the downside for them? They keep asking for her to try to “somehow get a work permit before they hire her”, but how??? Is there something that we are missing?
This user would like to thank BruFaustini for this useful post: