View Single Post
Old 17.02.2020, 21:13

Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

You said this:

Quote:
View Post
No, just a deal where the UKs sovereignty is respected and no unreasonable demands are made

Then this:

Quote:
View Post
That recognition is given to the UK's fishing grounds and access is there to be granted and not demanded. That a trade deal is not dependent on the UK "aligning" to European regulations and standards, that the UK is free to set her own tax and state aid regime without EU interference. That any arbitration mechanism isn't managed by the EU. Basically the same conditions that have formed the basis of the EU's trade deals with other sovereign nations like Japan and Canada.
Marton showed you to be... we'll go with inaccurate... and you changed your tune to this:

Quote:
View Post
Baffled how you can make the assumption that I expect the UK to be able to ignore the standards of the market it is exporting to. This isn’t how trade works. Have fun creating your straw man, like the others keep on talking about the British Empire!
Now you appear bamboozled by your own words:

Quote:
View Post
In what way have any goalposts been moved?
I have never said the UK should get a trade agreement solely on her own terms. I have stated that sovereign matters that take place within a nations borders shouldn’t be up for negotiation nor part of any trade deal.
That's exactly what you implied by the use of the word "sovereignty," in wanting the EU to kowtow despite us (soon, probably already) having conceding negotiating power and your repeated use of the female pronoun to refer to the UK.
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post: