View Single Post
Old 19.02.2020, 08:06
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 444 Times in 260 Posts
Thanked 2,734 Times in 1,244 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

I've posted a link below for those interested in reading David Frost's speech in full. I would suggest that you do.

I was really encouraged by the following passage, because of how important it is:-

Quote:
A second fundamental is that we bring to the negotiations not some clever tactical positioning but the fundamentals of what it means to be an independent country. It is central to our vision that we must have the ability to set laws that suit us – to claim the right that every other non-EU country in the world has. So to think that we might accept EU supervision on so-called level playing field issues simply fails to see the point of what we are doing. That isn’t a simple negotiating position which might move under pressure – it is the point of the whole project. That’s also why we are not going to extend the transition period beyond the end of this year. At the end of this year, we would recover our political and economic independence in full – why would we want to postpone it? That is the point of Brexit.

In short, we only want what other independent countries have.
Unfortunately Michel Barnier seems to already have come out and said that a Canada style agreement is no longer on the table, after previously saying it was one of the only options on the table. It's odd, that after rejecting Theresa May's request for a bespoke deal, this now seems to be the only deal the EU are offering Boris Johnson! I get the feeling that either the EU underestimate the strength of this government or simply are not taking the request seriously.

https://reaction.life/david-frost-sp...exit-position/