View Single Post
Old 19.02.2020, 21:39
The Marmite Moderator

Groaned at 433 Times in 330 Posts
Thanked 21,458 Times in 11,249 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Normal tax bill significantly more than withholding tax

Quote:
View Post
Hello,

Last year I finally broke 120K, my overtime pay pushed me over the limit where I have to do the normal tax declaration even though I'm paying withholding tax.

I was happy to do it, as I read here you'll probably get money back. At the end of the online tax form, they give you the provisional numbers, and I was quite surprised to see it's 3K more than the withholding tax I already paid. I live in Zurich.

I already went to my HR with this, and they have no clue, and I asked the Steueramt too, where of course they suggested to send it in like this, and pay any bill they might send me. So I was wondering if someone here was in the same situation, and if you could enlighten me if normal tax is indeed that much more, or if I'm reading the numbers wrong, or if I filled it out wrong.

My monthly payslip with the quellensteuer and AHV looked pretty much like the ethz calculator suggested. So Quellensteuer for a year was 13500.
screenshot with the numbers here

And the provisional tax calculation was pretty much the same as the calculator on admin.ch. I added around +5K of deductions.
It says Cantonal tax 6400, Communal tax 7500, and Federal tax 3000. A total of around 17000, which is about 3500 more than the withholding tax paid over the year.
screenshot with the numbers here

Which would mean I'm getting a hefty bill at the end
Thanks for any insights!
You need more expenses, it was assumed you had 15k at that salary, clearly 5k is too low
Travel to work
Lunch at work
Some health Insurance
some work clothes
3% training costs.

Zurich city has a higher tax rate than average.
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post: