View Single Post
Old 20.02.2020, 18:55
NichtsBesonders NichtsBesonders is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 401
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 387 Times in 196 Posts
NichtsBesonders has earned some respectNichtsBesonders has earned some respect
Re: Family Reunification

View Post
Hello Community!

I am new to the forum, and the information here has been really helpful.

Now I am moving to Switzerland (really looking forward to a long-term stay and integration) and have a few questions. Me and my spouse are both Non-EU. My spouse has been working in CH under an L permit which will expire in July (18-month contract). I recently got my work visa approved with a permanent contract and I'm moving in April. We are both highly qualified professionals.

1. Which is the earliest we can apply for family reunification (taking into account that we already signed the contract for our apartment and its valid from 1st of March)?:..Since April? From now? Or until I get the physical residence card? Or after my 3-month “Probezeit”?

2. Which is the earliest you can register with the Kreisburo?

3. If you are waiting for a permit decision, how long (if possible) can you legally stay in Switzerland after your permit has expired?

4. Is it possible to have 2 primary permits in a family, if both go through the non-eu process? Are there any advantages on family reunification compared to two primaries?

5. If my spouse finds a job with a permanent contract before we apply for family reunification, is it worth applying for a permit through the standard non-eu process?

We are trying to find answers with the authorities but any thoughts/experiences will be highly appreciated.
1. I advise you to ask the migration office of the respective canton since this can vary a lot between cantons and depending on the unique circumstances of your two cases.
2. On the first day of the validity of your D visa, provided you enter Switzerland on that day.
3. So assuming your wife applies for family reunification as soon as you move in and she still has a valid L permit, she'll be allowed to stay until the decision is made even if her current permit expires in the meantime.
4. Yes, my family is in such a situation. No, having one permit depend on another is strictly worse that two independent ones. An independent L/B permit can be converted to a dependent one should one of you lose a job, but not vice versa; also a dependent permit cannot be made primary in case the primary holder loses it.
5. Yes, sure, it's always better to have more options than less.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank NichtsBesonders for this useful post: