View Single Post
Old 22.02.2020, 07:52
Forum Legend

Groaned at 72 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 3,697 Times in 1,745 Posts
The_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Normal tax bill significantly more than withholding tax

Quote:
View Post

I'll try to piece some more deductions together, but this may be more or less all I have. I did eat of course, but I didn't have to buy anything significant for work, nor did I have training paid by myself. And the 5K is my health insurance + the public transportation.
Deductions are one way of optimizing your tax bill:
-> follow up on suggestions from others (e.g lump sum deduction for work, lunch allowance)
-> I would add 3rd pillar to that but please consider wider situations and alternatives for the 6k a year or so, as short term gain could be offset by cost of opportunity or taxes you may incur in other jurisdictions (e.g if you’re American)
-> consider paying a tax advisor, if your situation is not complicated this shouldn’t cost more than CHF200.- and will pay for itself as most likely you haven’t covered all bases. (If you like to DIY your tax you can copy paste from next year and adjust where needed but you should be 80-90% there)

Other ways are:
-> obvious one is moving Gemeinde or Kanton

Quote:
View Post

Looks like all that's left is to marry, get into debt, or to donate 15K to the SVP
That is not necessarily the case unless the person you get married to doesn’t earn any money.
It is a known fact that the combined tax bill of an unmarried “both working” couple is lower than that of a married “both working” couple - google “marriage penalty” or “Heiratsstrafe”