View Single Post
Old 23.02.2020, 12:06
NichtsBesonders NichtsBesonders is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 397
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 384 Times in 195 Posts
NichtsBesonders has earned some respectNichtsBesonders has earned some respect
Re: Non EU-PhD at Swiss uni-on RAV with a job seeker's L permit-Extension/alternative

Unfortunately the 6-month period for job hunting after graduation is not extendable at all. See the last paragraph of 5.1.2 here.

It doesn't matter if you are still entitled to X days of unemployment benefits. Non-EU L/B permits always have a purpose of stay attached to them and cannot be extended if that purpose doesn't hold anymore. During your studies the purpose was education (with allowed work). That doesn't hold anymore since your studies have been completed.
Now your purpose of stay is looking for a job after graduation from a Swiss university, and the law and its established interpretation say that you cannot stay for longer than 6 months after finishing your studies with this purpose.

The entitlement to RAV benefits would matter if you held a normal B permit for work purposes ("mit Erwerbstätigkeit", so the purpose of stay would be gainful employment) and an open one at that (i.e. without any restriction on changing employers).
Reply With Quote