View Single Post
Old 23.02.2020, 16:14
Forum Legend

Groaned at 470 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 11,886 Times in 6,179 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: St Gallen or Rorschach

Wherever you decide to live:
Make sure you don't need to change means of public travel to get to your workplace, as that will easily double your commuting time. Depending on where you work exactly, using a bicycle (esp. along the Lake shores) may be an option during 3/4 of the year. I would bike from Steinach to Romanshorn and back for about six years, which also got that "gym" issue settled.

Perhaps check out the "Schnellbus" between Arbon and St.Gallen train stations. Subject to details it takes about 20mins one-way, which is roughly half the ordinary travel time, google "Ostwind Tarifverbund" for the details. Commuting St.Gallen-Arbon will cost in the ballpark area of 2k per year (do make sure to include both the zones for Horn and Roggwil SG, if applicable). You may want to consider a "Generalabo" instead for some 3.9k, which gives you free rides on most Swiss public transport, though quite a few touristy peaks are excluded.

Also keep in mind that, almost always you're welcome to upgrade whereas downgrading is usually costly or downright impossible. The more pricey short-term offers are probably the better option for your first calendar quarter or three.

As usual, rent is generally a bit more expensive in the city (St.Gallen in this case) than in the more rural areas (exceptions apply). It's common to have a minimum 12-month rent duration, but you do want to make sure it's not longer and that you're able to cancel the contract by any month's end afterwards (with the exception of December). Housing is moving towards "a renter's market" around here, if it hasn't entered that territory already, so feel free to make good use of that.

Can't comment on living in Rorschach. Going out there, and this is purely my experience, comes with its own issues though as the ratio of people from the Balkan countries is unusually high. I do like the Münzhof and its Bar though. I'd probably opt for Rheineck/Thal instead of Rorschach as you get to chose from what Austria has to offer as well while commuting is still acceptably short with roughly half an hour one-way. Eating out for instance is much less expensive; you may be able to get an Austrian mobile subscription; picking up packages from some kind of dropbox or PO box in Austria or Germany is much simpler, too, and I simply love the inland landscape despite of me yearning the lakeshore.

ETA:
Mhh, maybe public traffic isn't really your thing. In that case a lot will depend on your actual route and times, it can be literally free of traffic jams or include an extension of at least half an hour each way, every day.