View Single Post
Old 23.02.2020, 17:35

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
RinRaman has no particular reputation at present
Thank you! =) I've been visiting it for years but it didn't occur to me to join until my own situation became desperate =P

Quote:
View Post
Do nationals from your country of origin require tourist visas to stay in Switzerland? If not (Canada/USA nationals etc.), you will automatically be placed on a tourist status upon the expiry of your L permit valid for the generally 3 months.

If you do require a visa as a tourist, then I am not sure what is the procedure but generally I've heard of "grace periods" for these matters.
Yes, I would require visa for Switzerland. Good to know I'll have some time to wrap up if things go south, allows me to focus right now on trying to make a miracle!

Quote:
View Post
Unfortunately the 6-month period for job hunting after graduation is not extendable at all. See the last paragraph of 5.1.2 here.

It doesn't matter if you are still entitled to X days of unemployment benefits. Non-EU L/B permits always have a purpose of stay attached to them and cannot be extended if that purpose doesn't hold anymore. During your studies the purpose was education (with allowed work). That doesn't hold anymore since your studies have been completed.
Now your purpose of stay is looking for a job after graduation from a Swiss university, and the law and its established interpretation say that you cannot stay for longer than 6 months after finishing your studies with this purpose.

The entitlement to RAV benefits would matter if you held a normal B permit for work purposes ("mit Erwerbstätigkeit", so the purpose of stay would be gainful employment) and an open one at that (i.e. without any restriction on changing employers).
Ah, shoot, that's not very encouraging. Thanks for linking the document, though. I did hear of a case where arguing the RAV angle actually worked, so I will try it anyway, although that wasn't in Zurich.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 24.02.2020 at 10:44. Reason: merging consecutive replies