View Single Post
Old 23.02.2020, 18:27
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 83 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 1,192 Times in 581 Posts
YuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: St Gallen or Rorschach

Rorschach has probably the lowest rents from any (semi-large) city in Switzerland, having lost roughly 1/3rd of it's population. It has one of the highest rates of people being on social benefits, and while the lake is a bonus, it's certainly NOT the most fun place to be living in. Also, no larger park/any forst in the city. I commuted there for a while, and to be honest, I wasn't even thinking of living there.

St. Gallen is quite alright, and as others said, easy to get to the airport, plus other areas in Eastern Switzerland, good to access Appenzell for hiking (or shopping for Appenzeller Bier ) - with rents still reasonable.

If you're relatively tight on funds, and not having to pay "local" taxes, Rorschach might not be the worst choice actually, but for someone with your interests (as laid out by you in your posts here) I'd probably suggest somewhere in St. Gallen or actually nearby your workplace. NOT having to commute / just a short commute definitely beats a lower rent to quite some extend in my books.