View Single Post
Old 23.02.2020, 22:29
NichtsBesonders NichtsBesonders is online now
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 412
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 392 Times in 201 Posts
NichtsBesonders has earned some respectNichtsBesonders has earned some respect
Re: Non EU-PhD at Swiss uni-on RAV with a job seeker's L permit-Extension/alternative

View Post
Ah, shoot, that's not very encouraging. Thanks for linking the document, though. I did hear of a case where arguing the RAV angle actually worked, so I will try it anyway, although that wasn't in Zurich.
Oh by all means do try it, I wish you best of luck! Those are only federal guidelines, there is a non-zero probability that you can persuade the canton and it will get waved through by SEM, bureaucracy also makes mistakes in your favor sometimes (though, sadly, rarely )

Regarding the grace period it usually works this way: you can talk to Migrationsamt right before your permit expires and they usually will give you another 2-3 weeks to wrap things up and depart. They'll stamp a C or D visa in your passport for that so you can depart the Schengen area without a valid permit.
If you don't do that and let your permit expire without deregistering, they'll send you a letter by registered post ordering you to leave within 2 weeks and containing a card that will be stamped and taken from you on the border to confirm and record your departure. If you ignore that I guess that's when the guys with handcuffs come in
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank NichtsBesonders for this useful post: