View Single Post
Old 26.02.2020, 15:10
Forum Legend

Groaned at 36 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 26,504 Times in 8,182 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New and a bit nervous

Welcome to Switzerland, Josie!

As you are settling in, mulling over a career change, and exploring the job market, might I make a suggestion, even if it's only a short term step on the way to other things?

Quote:
View Post
I also love animals and being outdoors.
There is desperate need for pet care, especially holiday care, and even more so care for 'special needs' pets. If you have experience in this area, or even aptitude and a sense of responsibilty, you could find work tomorrow.

Sure, it would likely be occasional work at first, but depending on how much you wish to work and what you can offer it could grow into more.

Or, something like this could simply be a bridge, a bit of income and something interesting to do, as you look for something else. Many people take on occasional jobs while they are finding their feet here.

FYI, my now-retired sitter turned her love of animals into a full time career. She was bored of the business world, and while she was looking for something else offered to care for a friend's pet while they were on holiday. Word got around, and soon she was fully booked with a waiting list of clients - she honestly just stumbled into a new career. Because she was able to care for pets with medical and behavioral needs she could charge premium rates, and did quite well for herself while doing something she enjoyed, with complete control over her own schedule.

So just a though as you settle in and look for opportunities.

Anyway, welcome!
The following 4 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post: