View Single Post
Old 04.03.2020, 19:37

Groaned at 95 Times in 30 Posts
Brian1985 has an excellent reputationBrian1985 has an excellent reputationBrian1985 has an excellent reputationBrian1985 has an excellent reputation
Re: Help with motivational letter for a landlord

Broaden your search to the silver coast (look at towns like Thalwil, Horgen, Wadenswil and Au) and places on the other side of the lake like Uster. The commutes into Zurich are easy enough (generally 20 minutes by train) and you get bigger apartments and lower taxes relative to living in Zurich city.

Swiss landlords are the ultimate example of a Bünzli. They have benefited from interest rates falling to below zero which has given them massive paper profits on their holdings which, in turn, has allowed them to become super picky about whom they rent to. I wanted to rent an apartment for 2k on a net monthly salary of 11k and the landlord refused to rent it to me saying that I would be depriving another family on a lower income from renting that apartment. I explained that I'm trying to save money for a deposit by living below my means but that couldn't overcome the "suitability" issue. I can't wait for those "paper" profits to disappear and for a return to a more capitalistic mindset.