View Single Post
Old 05.03.2020, 00:11
Forum Legend

Groaned at 39 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 6,369 Times in 2,929 Posts
swisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help with motivational letter for a landlord

What worked for us was:

a) word of mouth - finding a 'nachmieter' where it's not openly advertised.

b) getting the employer to help (my Swiss employer spoke directly to the landlord about our needs/requirements and convinced him we were long-term and stable and definitely needed the 'small' 5.5 room apartment for our family of 5!
c) doing a motivation letter with a photo and explanation of what we were looking for and why.

As others have said, you might be looking too cheap (130K does open you up to higher rent than 2000/month - the general amount I was suggested is 1/4 so more like 3000chf than 2000...and are you clear with the landlord that you have a wife/child you want to bring over ?

Also, are you looking a 2, 3, or more bedrooms ? For a family with just one child then you could be looking at 2 bedrooms or maybe 2 plus study, but if you want 5+ rooms (three bedrooms or more) then there are not a lot available and they will go either to large families or to share-housers...

If you're working for google I understand they have a relocation agent who is a Swisss local. I've met her a couple of times. She is related to my landlord. Our neighbours got placed directly from google into our next-door apartment... no advertising...

Wollishofen is competitive for apartments. And you definitely need to tell the landlord that you have a wife and child coming over... so they understand 'why' you need a cheap and large apartment...

For other options. Homegate is where everone looks. Immoscout is usually just the same. try RonORP for places advertised in German/Swiss-German but you'll need to advocate for yourself. Some people like flatfox. In my local area apartments are advertised at the Migros and Coop but they are usually small...

And keep looking- you do know there are two official moving dates ? 1 April and 1 October. The number of apartments being advertised will peak this month and you might be lucky to pick something up through to May or JUne where people have ended up with two apartments because they found a new one but didn't give notice for the old one... and that's when you might have a better chance...

We were looking for 2 years to find our 'permanent' family apartment - we were temporary for 2.5 years first... and it did come with compromises, but we love it...great location, good landlord, tolerant neighbours, kid-friendly...