View Single Post
Old 11.03.2020, 13:05
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
DatYellowKitty has no particular reputation at present
Re: Costs of importing own car (more than 6 months) from EU-CH

Quote:
It does not matter what they deem reasonable what matters is the law, since it is very simple and clear that the only date that counts is the date the residency moved. On what date a permit is issued is not relevant. They need an address to be able to apply for a permit, so the date they registered themselves as living on that address counts.
Also you don't apply for residency, one applies for the permit, the residency is nothing more or less than passing city hall and register at the address.

So I am asking a very simple question that they simply can answer with a yes or a no.

Hi EdwinNL, we registered at the municipality on the 27th of February, and we bought the car somewhere in September, I don't recall the exact date.
May you provide me with a link to the french version of the law you are mentioning? It is not productive, in my opinion, to argue without actually checking the law (I am a lawyer myself), so if the law clearly states that the date for VAT purposes is counted from the registration at the municipality, we may not comply with the 6 months period of ownership.
Nevertheless, the registration at the municipality should be a declaration of intent to reside in Switzerland - it does not mean I am a resident yet. That should justify why, for example, I am not able to have a bank account yet. Having an address in Switzerland should not be automatically considered as residency, as I am able to live in Switzerland for 3 months (with possible extension) without becoming a legal resident. That would imply other consequences, namely for tax purposes.
Anyway! Too much blabber already I'll also search for the legal basis on the VAT exemption in the meantime.
This user groans at DatYellowKitty for this post: