View Single Post
Old 15.03.2020, 00:59
Forum Legend

Groaned at 95 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 12,342 Times in 5,004 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: sign-off from work when being abroad?

Quote:
I... it is insanity that government says "have symptoms do stay at home" and than some employer says "screw it, drag your infectious body to your doctor for my bookkeeping"
Isn't this still largely seen a question of costs, i.e. which insurance, fund or personal pocket will end up bearing the cost, if someone cancels something?

The person who has booked a cruise or flight hopes that the travel agency or the airline or the government will cancel or prohibit that trip, so they get their money back. The parent who is paying for child-care hopes that it'll be the creche that cancels, so that they as parents can get their money back (if there is any to be had).

Similarly, an employer hopes that the employee will send in a doctor's certificate, so that their insurance will cover the wages. Or alternatively that it'll be the municipality or canton or federal government that imposes the prohibition, so that the employer can try to claim from the emergency fund.

An aquaintance who is "the employer" in a Cantonal department, explained that they'd had to decide whether or not someone who'd had indirect contact (friend of a friend) with a positively tested person, should come back to work. He said that even within the Cantonal administration they're all hoping someone else will foot the bill: if he permits/orders an employee to stay home, then his department's budget is responsible for all the related costs, whereas if the Kantonsarzt pronounces the prohibition those costs must be borne by the department of the Kantonzarzt. Financially - but not, of course, organisationally - it'd be better for the Canton if the municipality would be the party to "blame".

A virus is no respecter of paper-shufflings, though, so it's hard to know what makes sense structurally, in a time-frame that's beyond an individual employee's illness.