Thread: Rhubarb rhubarb
View Single Post
Old 17.03.2020, 18:17
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,025 Times in 460 Posts
Cherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rhubarb rhubarb

After I moved back to Scotland in 2004 I lived in my parents house where I grew up. The house was built by the council in 1965 with a huge back garden and my dad grew veg and salad at the far end. We had a rhubarb patch in the top corner that dated back to WW2 and it thrived. I can only assume it was planted as part of the "Dig for Victory" campaign. After the war it was in the garden of a prefab along the way from the one we lived in ("our detached prefab bungalow" as my coal miner pa used to refer to it ). The prefabs were erected in 1946 for men who took up jobs as miners after being de-mobbed.

I lived in the 60s house for 10 years until way after pa died and we used to have such a glut of rhubarb, what we couldn't use was given away to elderly neighbours (I used to make jams and freeze it for puddings in winter). I've just realised how much I miss my rhubarb patch, I expect the guy I sold the house to dug it up when he revamped the garden
This user would like to thank Cherub for this useful post: