Thread: DA-1 Question
View Single Post
Old 26.03.2020, 09:29
ztm's Avatar
ztm ztm is offline
Newbie 1st class
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 27
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 17 Times in 8 Posts
ztm has no particular reputation at present
Re: DA-1 Question

View Post
Thanks, Enohzee. Is DA-1 applicable only to foreign investments? I have received some dividends from my Swiss stocks, which I believe were taxed at source. Can I use DA-1 to get some of the tax back?
No, you can't. You can use a DA-1 form to recover (i) foreign withholding tax or (ii) tax that Swiss brokers withhold on US securities (it's nicely explained here).

In your case, your are getting a 35% withholding tax because you are investing in Swiss securities. This is always the case (check this out). If you declare taxes, they'll reimburse you 35% withholding tax as tax credit. If you are taxed at source (Quellensteuer), you might not be able to get the money back.
Reply With Quote