View Single Post
Old 26.03.2020, 09:45
Forum Legend

Groaned at 34 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 25,317 Times in 7,893 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chilli Seeds online

I live on the 'dark side', where we have less sun and cooler temps. Nonetheless, we manage a pretty good crop each year.

We start seeds early, around January, under glass with a grow light and warming pad. The grow light is needed because we don't have a dog-safe sunny window, and the warming pad because I keep a cool house. We have to make do.

We also buy seedling starts, usually from Meier. So half the plants are from seed, half started commercially. That gives us a pretty good chance in our not-so-chili-friendly microclimate.

We plant the chilis in dark colored planters, sitting on our dark granite patio against our dark granite terraced wall. The surrounding dark stone retains heat, so even if we don't have sun all day we at least give the chiles a heat boost.

OH made a glass green-house topper for each of the planters, to protect the starter plants in case of a late cold snap. Also have plastic tents ready to put up over each planter in case of mid season hail, another regular occurrence in our area.

Planters keep slugs (more or less) at bay as well.

These are all measures that can be scaled to a balcony, by the way.

A fair amount of work, sure. But worth it.

(In these self-isolating times, my stock of dried and pickled chilis makes me happy.)
This user would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post: