View Single Post
Old 27.03.2020, 21:52
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 49 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,861 Times in 1,387 Posts
me.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Retirement dilemma

Quote:
View Post
I reach retirement age in 14 months. However, by that time its likely for my 2nd pillar that the conversion rate will have been lowered to pay for the present crisis, and that the fund will be worth even less than it is now due to low interest rates

I have a 3 month notice period. I'm wondering whether I shouldn't hand in my notice immediately and retire 10 months early.

Any opinions would be gratefully received.
Does your current pension scheme allow you to retire early and immediately draw a (reduced) benefit ? Some pension schemes allow you to retire at 58 and even encourage you to go with assistance to cover the period until you can get your regular old age pension (AHV). If you don't know, it definitely worth speaking to them.

If you are below retirement age and are not working, you have to pay higher AHV contributions depending on your income and wealth. I have to pay this also for my wife. It is painful but not quite as bad as having to work.

My personal opinion: If you can afford to go now, then give it serious consideration.

The present crisis, if you are referring to the Corona virus, may actually help pension funds if it weeds out their older beneficiaries !