View Single Post
Old 28.03.2020, 14:43

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
westernfrontier has no particular reputation at present
Moving to Switzerland due to a new job

Hello,

I am a USA citizen and also have a permanent German residency. I have been offered a new job which is in the Canton of Valais (Visp)

If I get the Permit G. I can commute between Germany and Swiss and still keep my German residency. But the job is in Visp and 3 hours drive to get to the German border. I cannot drive each day obviously. But this is the ONLY way I can convince the Germans that I can keep my residency in Germany.

Permit B means I reside in Swiss and no commuting between Germany and Swiss. I will lose my German residency if I reside OUTSIDE Germany more than 6 months.

In Dec. 2020 I can get a EU residency. Not sure if this is any better.

Questions:
Is it wise to get Permit B vs Permit G in my situation? I may not have a choice to go with Permit B anyways since the job location (Visp) is far to Basel German border and cannot commute often. But the question is for my long term plan. Although I do not intend to apply for the German citizenship and will keep my American citizenship but getting the Swiss residency Vs the German that I have is a question. I can apply for the Swiss permanent residency ONLY after 5 years (Permit C). What if I lose my job less than the 5 years come up?! These are points to consider and one must always think about the pros and cons.

I do not have a car and need to buy one. The law says if you do not own the car you buy more than 6 months and attempt to import it to Switzerland, you must pay tax on that. I assume this means I better buy the car in Switzerland?! I am talking about a good used car. Is it still not worth it to import it to Switzerland?

What model car do you recommend to buy in Switzerland. I just wish to have a reliable Auto to go from point A to B and low maintenance. I understood many recommend Toyota or VW. Any recommendation which model of Toyota (Yaris, Corolla, Camrey, RAV4 etc.? VW ( Golf?). what about Ford?

What site you recommend to look for?

Regarding Apartment: Any advise on which town(s) is the best close to Visp to live? Is living in the country side cheaper?

I appreciate your input and guidance in advance.
Robert