Old 31.03.2020, 18:14
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
ztm has no particular reputation at present
Re: Taxes Zurich Canton

Copying from here:

If you are not Swiss, you'll be taxed at source, unless [5, 6]:
  • You have a C permit
  • Your income exceeds CHF 120k/year (applicable to most cantons, but Geneva: CHF 500k/year)
  • Your assets exceed CHF 200k (applicable to canton Zurich)
  • Your non-taxed at source income (e.g. dividends) exceeds CHF 2.5k/year (applicable to canton Zurich)
If your income is above the threshold, the tax authorities will send you a letter informing that you have to declare taxes. This is referred to as Nachträgliche ordentliche Veranlagung. No proactivity is required from your side. If this is the case, by the way, you’ll be taxed at source plus have to file taxes simultaneously. At least until you get a C permit. The difference between the regular tax declaration (what you have to pay) and the withholding tax paid during the period (what you paid) will be debited/credited to you.

Proactivity is required if you meet any of the other conditions. At least to my understanding. The tax authorities can find out systematically about your Swiss income. But I don’t think they can find out about your assets. Especially considering that you might have assets abroad. The same applies for non-taxed at source income. My advice would be to contact the tax office.

In your case the closest trigger would be the CHF 200k in assets (I guess). Are you over CHF 200k if you add the rest of your assets on top of your real estate in Italy? If so, you might want to contact the Zurich tax office.