View Single Post
Old 04.04.2020, 13:58

Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Caryl has a reputation beyond reputeCaryl has a reputation beyond reputeCaryl has a reputation beyond reputeCaryl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying and registering a car?

It used to be easy to get Q plates in the UK. I once had a car registered in Algeria with diplomatic plates and when I left I sold it to a dodgy Tunisian buyer on the condition that I would have it driven to Calais and on the ferry to Dover my driver would remove the dip plates. At Dover Customs he got a 6-month entry permit and then bought short-term tourist insurance and Q plates from the AA in the ferry terminal. A logbook for the Q plates could then be had from another AA office near London. Car was then driven back to Algiers and sold to the buyer for local currency. That was 35 years ago. The UK is still a car thief's paradise as passable documents for a stolen car are still easy to arrange. The documents I just mentioned allowed a car to be driven almost anywhere in the world, at least for a while. I'm sure one could still get a Carnet de passage en douane, something I had when I drove a VW Beetle all the way around the Mediterranean in 1965.