View Single Post
Old 06.04.2020, 17:54
mwong mwong is offline
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Geneva
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
mwong has no particular reputation at present
Re: Non-EU permit extension advice-Same project different canton

Roegner is right. The authorities will decide what permit you will get.

I'm from the French speaking part. Based on my experience, it depends on two factors:
1) How long is your contract? If it's one year or less, you will get a L permit. If it's 2 years, you maybe eligible for B permit but it's very unlikely you will get it. It used to be possible before 2014 referendum.
2) There is a quota of different types of work permits for every canton based on nationality. If you apply early in the year, your chance of getting a 'better' permit or not being rejected is higher. Even if you have a permanent contract, it's still possible to receive a L permit if the quota is finished.

The best person to ask is your HR manager, preferably somebody skilled at handling non-European applications. He/she can decide what is the risk of switching cantons and is able to specify a B permit request in the application form or motivation letter. It's up to the authorities to make the final decision.

Basically, your options are:
1) Request your work permit from Bern. Either you have to commute or there is a possibility to have a second residence in another canton. You should be able to find more info online.
2) Request your work permit from Zurich.
Reply With Quote