View Single Post
Old 12.04.2020, 12:30
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 15 Times in 11 Posts
catandmouse has earned the respect of manycatandmouse has earned the respect of manycatandmouse has earned the respect of many
Re: Access to Remicade in Switzerland

To complement the excellent tutorial given on the Swiss health insurance system, if you have a chronic condition, you are almost certainly going to be best off with a 300 CHF franchise. In my case I have diabetes and the cost of my insulin pump, consumables and insulin alone comes to a little under 5000 CHF per year. Add to that doctor's visits, lab tests and other medication, it's quite a lot more.
Essentially with a 300 CHF franchise, you pay the first 300 CHF yourself, then 10% of the next 7000 CHF, so 700 CHF. That makes a total of 1000 CHF you pay yourself, the rest is all covered by the basic health insurance.
In general you have to pay the various bills yourself and then recover them from the health insurance, but some health providers will bill the insurance directly, which will bill you back if necessary.
It may sound that "basic health insurance" is, well, basic. However its coverage is very broad and many people don't have any supplemental insurance. The basic health insurance is very heavily regulated, whilst the supplemental insurance is not and is only covered in the same way as any other private insurance you might have (including the right of the company to accept you as a risk or not, for example).
The following 2 users would like to thank catandmouse for this useful post: