View Single Post
Old 14.04.2020, 15:27
Forum Legend

Groaned at 411 Times in 310 Posts
Thanked 11,030 Times in 5,806 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
Brexit wasn't the trigger for the upheaval the car industry is seeing at the moment
Stop putting words in my mouth, this isn't what I said.

Still, to play along: Obviously there are other issues, like the shift towards electric. The investments for that do happen, just not in the UK. In 2018 investments by SMMT members (Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders) dropped by almost 50% due to the moving of car production away from the UK which, of course, is caused by Brexit.

This is what Mike Hawes, SMMT Chief Executive said last year when Brexit was two months away. And don't ask for a more recent quote, I can't be bothered given the continued fall of production numbers shown below (chart taken from SMMT):
Quote:
With fewer than 60 days before we leave the EU and the risk of crashing out without a deal looking increasingly real, UK Automotive is on red alert. Brexit uncertainty has already done enormous damage to output, investment and jobs.

Yet this is nothing compared with the permanent devastation caused by severing our frictionless trade links overnight, not just with the EU but with the many other global markets with which we currently trade freely.

Given the global headwinds, the challenges to the sector are immense. Brexit is the clear and present danger and, with thousands of jobs on the line, we urge all parties to do whatever it takes to save us from ‘no deal’.
This user would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post: