View Single Post
Old 15.04.2020, 20:15

Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
Oooops they have been advertising, and advertising and advertising some more- but nope. All those in East Anglia who voted Brexit because foreigners were taking their job- have NOT applied...So it is now realised that the UK needs 70000 labourers to pick vegetables and soon, fruit. Many flights from Romania organised starting tomorrow, with a huge advertising campaing in Eastern Europe on the way.

Just could NOT make it up. And in the middle of Covid crisis.

Reminds me of going skiing in Steamboat in the 90s. The local redneck politicians had had a massive 'clean-out' getting rid of 1000s of 'irregular' workers. They were mightily pleased with themselves- until the ski season started and they realised they had no-one to clean and prepare food in Hôtels, restaurants, etc- no-one to man the lifts, groom the pistes, etc, etc- and the town was on the brink of disaster.
Leaving the EU doesn't stop us from hiring the people we need. Doesn't this just show that little has changed (and presumably will do even when we exit the transition period)? Obviously, trying to restrict fruit pickers coming here is just plain daft.

Its perfectly possible to be pro-brexit and pro-immigration. In my view its actually the more consistent position - the EU and its hangalongs is essence a protectionist block (just look at the immigration rules for Switzerland, and most other European countries...). Certainly it made a difference to me seeing the hoops my eminently qualified non-EU wife had to go through compared to an unskilled worker from the EU to stay in the UK. Surely its the equitable position to treat people the same regardless of where they come from. Can anyone really argue that the UKs proposed rules aren't much better than those they will replace?

For me, you can't really make a judgement on Brexit until a number of years after the event and see what direction we go in. If we go full on protectionist it'll be an unmitigated disaster. We could stay close to the EU, in which case not much will change. We could go in a less protectionist direction, in which case we should get richer.

Last edited by jorido; 15.04.2020 at 20:48.
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at for this post: