View Single Post
Old 17.04.2020, 15:34
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 1,056 Times in 597 Posts
axman has a reputation beyond reputeaxman has a reputation beyond reputeaxman has a reputation beyond reputeaxman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is it worth buying a flat in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Iím really not convinced by this. It only makes sense if you are reinvesting the repayments in something which gives a return higher than the mortgage rate and that should be looked at on a risk adjusted basis. Making a saving on your taxes because you deduct interest expense, still means you have to pay the interest expense in the first place.
Agree that you need to invest the money that is meant for repayment.

The alternative to paying interest is to pay rent and currently that is not a bad thing at all.

In the last few years and for the next 5 years my annual interest expense is less than 1 month's rent.

I've probably enjoyed the money I saved a bit too much, but I do have some Fundsmith etc.. I should be able to repay half the mortgage shall the interest rates go the wrong way.

I got lucky with my first property and sold it for twice as much. Without that I would not be able to afford my current place, and with prices where they are right now, it is difficult to find a decent deal.