View Single Post
Old 22.04.2020, 15:48
modified, reprogrammed and doctored˛

Groaned at 361 Times in 248 Posts
Thanked 19,330 Times in 10,090 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
The economy is cyclical and there are times when it is difficult to find a job, even if you do tick all the right boxes. It is thus a good thing we have a safety net. But phases in which large numbers of people need to rely on it should be transitional, not permanent.

I'm not opposed to a basic income per se. I think it has some very real advantages, for example salary costs for employers can be reduced meaning more people get hired. It also takes much of the initial risk out of start ups meaning lots of people with good ideas who don't know if they can make them work can finally go out and try. It could lead to a golden age of entrepreneurship. Steve Jobs started Apple out of his parents' garage at a time he still lived with his parents and didn't pay rent. Not everybody is fortunate to have parents like that. A basic income can open that channel for many people like him.

But what I don't like is the way especially the political left are spinning the idea, predicting a future where most of us won't have jobs so we might as well get paid for doing nothing. That is defeatist, a waste of human potential, and ultimately untrue. It is a thinking that drags people down rather than raising them up.
I agree. And think your last paragraph is a direct consequence of your previous 2 paras, justifying the idea.

The thought of possibly having more Steve Jobs because we offer them cushier start might actually not give them the incentive to start, in the first place. Meritocracy is tough but motivating, I think. And I know all about human intrinsic motivation, to the smallest atom of it. It comes from one's own responsibility, conditions are secondary and come from the outside, extrinsically.

I also think that the loudest voices about wealth distribution will be those who aren't making the money (nor own) that needs to be redistributed, it frequently is that way.

The question of "how much will we tax them" has a perfect Swiss answer.

“The only difference between a rut and a grave is a matter of depth.” S.P. Cadman

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." A. Einstein

Last edited by MusicChick; 22.04.2020 at 16:05.
This user would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post: